Federal Board of Revenue (FBR)
In 1944, an entire-fledged revenue division changed into established beneath the Ministry of Finance. After independence, this arrangement persisted up to thirty-first August 1960 at the same time as on the hints of the executive Re-business agency Committee, FBR has become made a related branch of the Ministry of Finance. In 1974, additionally, changes had been made to streamline the employer and its features.
To take away impediments within the exercising of administrative powers of a Secretary to the Government and powerful formulation and implementation of fiscal policy measures, the status of FBR as a Revenue Division become restored beneath the Ministry of Finance on October 22, 1991. However, the Revenue Division become abolished in January 1995, and FBR reverted returned to the pre-1991 function. The Revenue Division continues to exist in view that from December 01, 1998.
FBR’s Role and Responsibilities
In a nutshell, FBR is supposed to:
- Investigate cases related to tax evasion, money laundering, and general tax-related crimes.
- Audit entities on cases of unreported assets, income or expenditure.
- Pass legislation related to taxes and administer tax policies for Pakistan.
- Act as a revenue collection body.
The revenue collection board works through Regional Tax Offices (RTO) and Large Taxpayer Units.
Departments Under FBR
It is further divided into different wings including:
- Inland Revenue Service, it takes care of domestic taxes such as Federal Excise Duty, Income Tax, Sales tax etc. It is also the central wing of the FBR.
- Pakistan Customs Service collects import-related taxes including import duties. It also regulates international trade, based on the restrictions and laws levied by the government.
- Administration Wing
- Taxpayer Audit Wing
- Legal Wing
- Facilitation and Taxpayer Education Wing
- Strategic Planning and Reform Statistics Wing
- Human Resource Management
- IT Wing
- Accounting Wing
- Research, Analysis and Reforms Wing
You can learn more about FBR’s wings and the people behind them here
Next is a step by step guide to filing your income tax returns. If you are a government employee or a business owner you will need a National Tax Number to file your taxes online.
Filing Income Tax Returns Online For Individuals and Businesses (Includes Iris Registration)
In iris you can register online for tax, you can also submit the annual tax return online by yourself.First matters first, right here’s a listing of entities and those which can be required to document for tax returns:
- Every organization;
- Every person (aside from an employer) whose taxable income for the year exceeds PKR400,000;
- Every non-income organization as defined in clause (36) of section 2;
- Every welfare organization accepted below limitation (fifty-eight) of Part I of the Second Schedule;
- Every person who has been charged to tax in respect of any of the 2 preceding tax years;
- Every individual who claims a loss carried forward underneath this Ordinance for a tax year;
- Every man or woman who owns immovable belongings with a land region of hundred and fifty square yards or extra or owns any flat located in areas falling inside the municipal limits existing straight away before the graduation of Local Government legal guidelines within the provinces; or regions in a Cantonment; or the Islamabad Capital Territory;
- Every character who owns immoveable belongings with a land place of five hundred square yards or extra positioned in a scoring area;
- Every person who owns a flat having blanketed region of two thousand rectangular ft or more placed in a rating location;
- Every person who holds a motor vehicle having engine capability above one thousand CC;
- Every individual who has obtained National Tax Number;
- Every individual who’s the holder of business or business connection of power in which the quantity of annual bill exceeds rupees five hundred thousand;
- Every individual who is registered with any chamber of commerce and enterprise or any change or commercial enterprise association or any market.
Committee or any professional body including Pakistan Engineering Council, Pakistan Medical, and Dental Council, Pakistan Bar Council or any Provincial Bar Council, Institute of Chartered Accountants of Pakistan or Institute of Cost and Management Accountants of Pakistan;
- Every character whose earnings below the top Business exceeds PKR three hundred,000 but does now not exceed PKR 400,000 in a tax year.